bambadoo

Æresmedlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Lørenskog
Torget vurderinger
Archimago har tatt for seg den også
Archimago's Musings: MUSINGS: Cable Claims, Testimony ("Buyer's Guide") & Sponsored Content...

A number of manufacturers appear to have no comment (eg. Black Rhodium, Audience), non-committal (eg. Kimber), or answered the question tangentially (eg. Synergistic, Chord). A few had pretty good responses and appeared aware of the technical benefits of I2S (eg. AudioQuest, Vertere). But I found it interesting how Nordost recommends S/PDIF "for best results" based on impedance reasons. And MIT likewise recommended S/PDIF because they somehow have "so much control" over signal integrity! Really? These people do realize that S/PDIF is more than likely the most jittery of all the options provided and the coaxial variant also doesn't provide galvanic isolation, right? I thought jitter was a "bad" thing. Perfect impedance match itself isn't going to affect jitter in a meaningful way no matter how much "control" they think they have in terms of construction of the cable.

Even more curious, consider the response from Crystal Cables / Siltech which I found to be the most disappointing. Supposedly USB and ethernet have wire configurations causing "major jitter and picks up noise". Really? And ethernet "fails as their standard connection is poorly implemented mechanically in regard to impedance and jitter". Really!? So sad... And I was starting to like ethernet after demonstrating signal integrity over >7,300km with essentially no measurable jitter :).

Would any of these companies please demonstrate an example of how their cable improves quality and presumably reduce the effect of jitter on actual DAC analogue output compared to a decent run of generic cable? Maybe MIT and Nordost can give it a go with their coaxial S/PDIF cables which they have mastery in? Crystal Cables and Siltech make USB cables; how about showing the benefits of their USB compared to the "major jitter" from generic cables?

I wonder if the cable manufacturers have been scared off ethernet due to all the bad press around the "snake-oil" nature of their claims especially last year. Good. I hope they stay far, far away and over time perhaps we'll have the good fortune to see other cable types fall out of favour from silver-tongued hype.

Kjendis

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Norway
Torget vurderinger
Spørs om de gutta der tør å stille opp under en Nordost demonstrasjon med sine kabler i sammenlikningstest med Nordost Odin.

Joppe

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Sydpolen
Torget vurderinger
^ i mellomtiden lurer man på hvorfor "normale" folk synes hifi-nuts er komplette nisser, he he he.

Topp Bunn