Høyttalere Looking for info/opinions on Omega speakers (Alnico and/or XRS)

Milkplus

Medlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
Hey there. Apologies for being terrible at Norwegian and resorting to English😓

I've recently moved house and as a result, need to consolidate what was previously two hifi systems down to one. This system will be in the living room and, as such, the ahem "aesthetics" of larger speakers aren't to the taste of everyone in the family. So, as a compromise (because what is marriage but not full of it haha), the plan is to sell my existing speakers (Wharfedale Lintons and Zu Audio DW mkIIs) and use the cash to buy an decent pair of either bookshelves or smaller floor standers.

My dilemma, however, is that the amp I've decided to keep is my Decware ZenTriode which only puts out around 2.5wpc. It's a lovely little amp with a fantastic sound that I just can't part with. But it leaves me relegated to speakers with 90db+ sensitivity to truly get the most out of it.

In my research, I've come across the Omega Speaker Systems range which seems to fit a lot of my criteria - sensitive, good looking and reasonably priced. Of course, the one thing I can't get any first-hand data on is how they actually sound. I've noticed that there have been several pairs sold on this website over the years (I'm particularly interested in the Compact Alnico Monitors and the Junior 8 XRS) and was wondering if any current owners out there could provide info on them before I consider pulling the trigger on importing a pair and spending the requisite bomb on import fees. - bonus points if the info is related to how they pair with a Decware amp!

Bit of a longshot, I realise that, but here's hoping someone might be able to oblige me. Cheers.

The Gunner

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
Hi,

I suggest you’d try AudioCircle for more feed back on this topic, not least about how those two brands are matching together.

To my knowledge only a few here in Norway have experience with Decware, and probably even fewer who have lend their ears to Omega. Here at HFS I know of only one guy who's a big fan of both brands. He called himself Jorgen1 but doesn’t seem to be active anymore. I guess he’s still very happy with his setup and maybe it’s worth to look him up?

For what it’s worth I’ve both Decware (it was their cheapest offering) and Omega Speakers (Alnico Super 8 XRS) myself, unfortunately not at the same time. Both were indeed lovely products at their price points and I’m sure they work well together too. Mind you, the Omega, especially driven by the flea watt Decware won’t offer much SPL, but perhaps it’s not an issue for you? I used my former Decware with Avantgarde Uno Fino with 104 db sensivity and got just enough of the SPL I craved for. I don’t think the Omega with their approximately 95 db would be enough for me. Besides they’ll sound shouty when you crank up the volume knob. But ofc, it all depends on the size of your room, your listening habits and not least what kind of music you mostly are listening to. Simply put, I did find so called ”hard and busy” music wanting. It all was surely more satisfying when playing less complex music pieces. Especially the reproduction of the human voice was seductive and believable.

You have a set of specific demands so it’s not easy. In this context I guess Omega are a good fit even with their limitations. Good luck with your hunt! 🤞

Milkplus

Medlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
Hi,

I suggest you’d try AudioCircle for more feed back on this topic, not least about how those two brands are matching together.

To my knowledge only a few here in Norway have experience with Decware, and probably even fewer who have lend their ears to Omega. Here at HFS I know of only one guy who's a big fan of both brands. He called himself Jorgen1 but doesn’t seem to be active anymore. I guess he’s still very happy with his setup and maybe it’s worth to look him up?

For what it’s worth I’ve both Decware (it was their cheapest offering) and Omega Speakers (Alnico Super 8 XRS) myself, unfortunately not at the same time. Both were indeed lovely products at their price points and I’m sure they work well together too. Mind you, the Omega, especially driven by the flea watt Decware won’t offer much SPL, but perhaps it’s not an issue for you? I used my former Decware with Avantgarde Uno Fino with 104 db sensivity and got just enough of the SPL I craved for. I don’t think the Omega with their approximately 95 db would be enough for me. Besides they’ll sound shouty when you crank up the volume knob. But ofc, it all depends on the size of your room, your listening habits and not least what kind of music you mostly are listening to. Simply put, I did find so called ”hard and busy” music wanting. It all was surely more satisfying when playing less complex music pieces. Especially the reproduction of the human voice was seductive and believable.

You have a set of specific demands so it’s not easy. In this context I guess Omega are a good fit even with their limitations. Good luck with your hunt! 🤞
Thanks for the input! even if you haven't had both Decware and Omega at the same time, it's still very valuable to help understand the limitations.

You make a fair point about SPL but these days I don't have much opportunity to crank the volume as I have small kids and tend to stick to more jazz/neo classical leaning. Normally around 65-70db. Of course it is always nice to have the option to turn things up without any concerns when the family is out of the house. But those days are few are far between. Plus most of my critical listening is done late at night with the volume low.

Which I guess brings me to a question for you... How were the Super 8s at low volumes? I have my eye on the Junior version (for space saving reasons) and while not the same I suppose might have some of the same characteristics.

Appreciate the heads up on jorgen1, I'll see if I can't track him down via DM.

The Gunner

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
I wouldn't worry too much about the SPL given your circumstances, and you can always add subwoofer(s) to the setup as well. I would. (KEF offer a really nice one in the diminutive KC62, and Omega do offer subwoofers too).

Bear in mind, all speakers from Omega don't sound excactly the same, or are bound to the same limitations - naturally, althoug there are some common traits. I only spoke of my experience with the Super Alnico 8 XRS. At the end of the day, you're asking a single driver to do it all. You'll get coherence, a sense of "wholeness", but may find other aspects less convincing (ie in the bass and treble departments).

I don't know about your budget and you're on the looking for Omega Speakers specifically. Otherwise there are other options, like some offerings from Cube, Handel and Audionote.

Milkplus

Medlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
I wouldn't worry too much about the SPL given your circumstances, and you can always add subwoofer(s) to the setup as well. I would. (KEF offer a really nice one in the diminutive KC62, and Omega do offer subwoofers too).

Bear in mind, all speakers from Omega don't sound excactly the same, or are bound to the same limitations - naturally, althoug there are some common traits. I only spoke of my experience with the Super Alnico 8 XRS. At the end of the day, you're asking a single driver to do it all. You'll get coherence, a sense of "wholeness", but may find other aspects less convincing (ie in the bass and treble departments).

I don't know about your budget and you're on the looking for Omega Speakers specifically. Otherwise there are other options, like some offerings from Cube, Handel and Audionote.
I think what attracted me to the Omegas -- apart from the fact that they are, indeed, attractive -- is the seemingly relative value for money. They are well-priced (even with the dreaded import tax bump) for a bespoke, single-driver speaker. Sadly, as nice as brands like AudioNote and Cube are, they are well beyond my budget.

But your point about adding a sub is well-taken. It's not something I've done in the past but definitely don't mind exploring if the situation calls for it, even though I suspect it won't be necessary for my purposes, as you stated.

I've had some experience with single-driver speakers as I currently own a pair of Zu Audio DW mkIIs. Tbh, I'd be happy enough to keep those but, alas, they are "too large" for the living room - the wife thinks they look like "Russ" speakers, primarily because of the black cabinets, I suppose haha.

Mind if I ask a pointed question about your Super Alnico 8 XRS? Are they the same model that's currently for sale on Omega's website? I ask because in the listing there's no mention of the Alnico drivers, so I suspect that perhaps they stopped using them for the XRS line at some point...

The Gunner

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
Omega speakers have an attractive appearance indeed. I loved their real wood veneers and fit and finish. Straight forward, yet elegant.

Regarding sub(s), they will enhance the sound beyond just SPL, and are very effective especially when listening at low volumes, that’s my take.

If you don’t want black boxes then the AN ax2 may fall off the shortlist although they’re inexpensive and sound great (edit: I see you can get them in other finishes than black too). The Handel Horn 10p could be an alternative - great speakers, with surprisingly good bass to boost. Cube are more costly, yes. I mentioned those just because I either owned or had auditioned them previously. There are probably other options out there as well but I see no point of name dropping things I haven’t heard myself.

My speakers were the then top of the line from Omega. They had alnico magnets and hemp cones annd are now discontinued. You may well prefer the current version because I suspect them to have a fuller and more even handed presentation of the sound. The alnico/hemp were more demanding.

As for the quoted 98 db sensivity: I'd take it with a pinch of salt ;).

Sist redigert:

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
I have had both Omega alnico and Decware speakers.
Will pm you about my experience with those.
Best regards.
Lasse

The Gunner

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
Best regards.
Lasse
Please share here.
I'd like to hear about your experience too🤗
We don't get to hear much about Omega Speakers (and Decware) otherwise.

Sist redigert:

Milkplus

Medlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
Best regards.
Lasse
Sorry, just saw this! Please feel free to DM me or reply in this thread. Very keen to hear your opinion.

In the interim I have also put in an order with Louis at Omega for a pair of Junior 8 XRS and am (I'm)patiently waiting for them to arrive in the next month or so...

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
Sorry, just saw this! Please feel free to DM me or reply in this thread. Very keen to hear your opinion.

In the interim I have also put in an order with Louis at Omega for a pair of Junior 8 XRS and am (I'm)patiently waiting for them to arrive in the next month or so...
Sorry for my late reply.
I will post it tomorrow.
Best regards

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
Decware speakers, big with two passive radiators on each side.
Easy load and a super nice sound. Needs space.
Wrong amplifications with denon monoblokk and preamplifier.
Should have been a tube amplifier.
Anyway i should not have sold these.
Omega alnico super six.
Again nice nice speakers. The most detailed i ever had.
Super easy load.
For jazz and vocals a No brainer.
Both Decware and Omega.
Amplifier with Omega was Cayin cs 55a tube amplifier with el 34 tubes.
And bottle head 2 watt single end amplifier.
I loved that amplifier.
I should and want to give you a more detailed description about those systems But my english is not good, sorry.
You cant go wrong with Omega. Just work with placement and amplifier.
Good luck.
Lasse.
Screenshot_20240307_134310_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240307_133820_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240307_133505_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240307_104821_Chrome.jpg

Topp Bunn