mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Tomi Malm - Walkin' On Air [CSCD-0217]

Tomi Malm hails from Finland and has been a respected figure for the past twenty-plus years on the North-European music scene. Malm works as a composer, arranger, orchestrator and producer on a multitude of successful records, TV themes and multimedia scores. In 2009, Malm rose to international attention with the now-classic release of Fly Away: The Songs Of David Foster, also on our label. Tomi arranged and produced a number of David Foster's classics on Fly Away. He showed such creativity and freshness on these recordings that he gained high praise and blessings from "The Hitman" David Foster himself. That project took the West Coast/quality pop music scene by storm, and in the past few years it has become a landmark for musicians and fans of the genre on every corner of the planet.

Today, Tomi Malm returns with Walkin’ On Air, his debut solo album, another stunning ride on pop music's most elegant grooves. On this collection of winning tracks, the Finnish wizard wrote or co-wrote all but two of the songs. The track list presents a variety of styles, from jazz-infused pop gems to refined ballads, smooth funky jams and pristine fusion instrumentals. Malm's inventive arrangements and top-notch production is brought to life thanks to the usual ace session roster that includes legends like Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Zappa, Herbie Hancock), John "JR" Robinson (Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Quincy Jones) and Simon Phillips (Toto, The Corrs, Peter Gabriel) on drums, Dan Warner (Madonna, Timbaland, Barry Gibb) and James Harrah (Aaron Neville, Herbie Hancock, Chris Botti) on guitars, Neil Stubenhaus (Roberta Flack, Joe Cocker, Michael McDonald) and Alex Al (Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau, George Duke) on bass, Robbie Buchanan (Whitney Houston, Barbra Streisand, Chaka Khan) on keyboards plus Luis Conte (James Taylor, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton) on percussion. The horn department is also stellar, with aces like Eric Marienthal (Chick Corea, Barbra Streisand, Elton John) and Brandon Fields (Tower of Power, The Rippingtons, George Benson) on sax, and a guest appearance from the smoking Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns.

From the first track, an evocative instrumental called "Kuwakaribisha," listeners will be enraptured by a musical world of astounding beauty. All the compositions are spectacular, but we'd like to mention in particular the title track; a jazzy mid-tempo composition featuring former Chicago singer Jason Scheff on vocals and bass. "Walkin' On Air" seems destined to become a classic in West Coast/Pop circles thanks to epic performances by Colaiuta and Marienthal. Another stand-out track is "Favor," with vocals courtesy of the insanely talented Frank Adahl. "Favor" has echoes of the best Phil Collins' work of the eighties with stunning horn arrangements and a fantastic groove provided by Simon Phillips on drums.

Malm shows his genius on a series of ballads that range in style from jazzy to pop and AOR.

"Show Me A Sign" is written by Hank Easton and features a heart-wrenching performance by the late Warren Wiebe (July 18, 1953 to October 25, 1998). Malm built the instrumental track around Wiebe's vocals and the result is a killer ballad with a strong, pulsating feeling.
    The ultra-talented ZoSia from Poland joins Wiebe and their mingling voices are pure ear candy.

Another highlight is "Perfect Imperfection" sung by Jeff Pescetto. Malm, on this smooth, soul/pop ballad, exposes his inner Burt Bacharach to create a magical tune that could easily belong in the legendary composer's songbook. "You Belong To Me" is another spectacular track which offers an outstanding vocal performance, this time by Grammy Award-Winner Clif Magness. Fans of Magness/Planet 3’s work will find echoes of it in this beautiful arrangement which flows amazingly with a great, driving guitar work courtesy of Dan Warner.

"Reason To Smile" is an unreleased gem written by the amazing Jeremy Lubbock (Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Barbra Streisand). Malm treated this rarefied melody with respect and the result is a work of art: a delicate, jazz-infused track sung by Julian Thomas backed up by just a Rhodes played by Eirik Berge, with Malm on keyboards. The grace and allure of "Reason To Smile" proudly stands alongside previous Lubbock masterpieces including "Not Like This", written for Al Jarreau, and "Goodbye Love", sung by The Manhattan Transfer.

On "Wouldn’t It Be Kinder", we are presented with another emotional and intimate arrangement, featuring profound lyrics by Cecily Gardner. This amazing ballad showcases a stellar vocal performance by Shem Von Schroeck, Kenny Loggins’ longtime collaborator/musical director and current bassist for the legendary group Toto, enhanced by the superior guitar work of session great James Harrah.

Finally, let’s mention a few other goodies on Walkin’ On Air. The haunting instrumental titled "Still Life" is quite close to Pat Metheny's territory with its cinematic power. The soulful mid-tempo titled "Let's Get To It" is co-written and sung by the extraordinary Jerry Lopez, leader of the famed Santa Fe & Fat City Horns. This light-funk jam is a catchy and exciting number in the best tradition of soul giants Earth, Wind & Fire.

Fasten your seatbelt while you get lost in Tomi Malm’s spectacular world of music. You won't regret it!

https://www.contanteysonante.com/tomi-malm

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Soweco - Keep On [STR009]

IF you like your music intellectual Soweco’s new album Keep Onshould take pride of place in your collection.
    It fits nicely between the genres of soul, smooth jazz and old school vibe. Sweden’s Soweco comprise Fredric Renmark (vocals), Mattias Roos (keys) and Peter Gustafsson (drums). They really know their way around a tune. That’s not surprising when you consider they’ve been mentored by producer, arranger and contemporary jazz superstar U-Nam. Each song on the album is superbly crafted. The title track has an excellent horn arrangement and Lucky Charm is a tune that settles into an easy groove. Let The Rain Fall Down and Way Up High are instantly likeable. Soweco’s down tempo track are equally enjoyable including Listen For A Moment (vocals by Renmark and Petra Carlenarson) and By The Sea.

This album is what good music’s all about – 9.5 out of 10.

-John Holden, Tuesday Lunch Break, 2BACR FM 100.9, Sydney, Australia

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JCKBKF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_1J.1zb8BNRTPM

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    William Sikström - "Running Out Of Time" Album Teaser 1

Classic west-coast plate på vei!

Lars™

Overivrig entusiast
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Trondheim
    Torget vurderinger
    Virker som svenskene har taket på 'vest-kysten'....blitt mange etter hvert
    ....og mye bra!

Bartesam

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Hus
    Kjøpt min på BigDipper jeg akkurat nå. 1699 spenn og kommer ikke ut før nyttårsaften. Betalte for en fra PopMarket 22 august, men de pengene ble tilbakebetalt av ukjent grunn :(

Hornlyd

Musikkglad
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Hører dere forskjell på Mofi og andre «ordinære» varianter?

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Donald Fagen Cheap Xmas

LDF32824_.jpg

https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/Donald-Fagen-Cheap-Xmas-Donald-Fagen-Complete-(Vinyl-7LP-Box-Set)

As a member of Steely Dan, it was always evident that Donald Fagen was a very clever and amusing gentleman, but he deserves a bit of extra credit for coming up with the title of the box set that spans his entire solo career: Cheap Xmas. It's a fair cop, though: if you know someone who's a Fagen fanboy but hasn't gotten around to picking up all of his solo albums, then this is a perfect bit of one-stop shopping. And even if you're a fan who does have those four excellent albums – which are The Nightfly (1982), Kamakiriad (1993), Morph The Cat (2006) and Sunken Condos (2012) – there's still something here to help sell you on picking up a copy: a fifth disc, 10 Extras, which features 10 solo Fagen songs that aren't on any of the aforementioned albums.

På tidal: https://tidal.com/album/76890457

Bartesam

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Hus
    Grei pris på denne boksen, og noe ekstramateriale oxo. Har alt på vinyl utenom ekstraoffet :)

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Grei pris på denne boksen, og noe ekstramateriale oxo. Har alt på vinyl utenom ekstraoffet :)
    Ditto :)

Nå er teaser #2 fra William her:

Bestilling:

William Sikström skrev:
    You can now pre-order my new album! The release date is December 1st.
    Price:
    Outside of Sweden: 24$ dollars (shipping included) Paypal
    In Sweden: 169kr inkl. frakt (swish, bankkonto el. paypal)
    To PRE-ORDER send me an email: williamsikstrom@gmail.com
    or contact me here on FB
    If you don't already have my first album you can order both and get "I Will Be Waiting" for just 10$ dollars or 80kr in additional cost :)
    /William
    https://www.facebook.com/williamsikstrommusic/posts/544333875903861

Hornlyd

Musikkglad
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger

Harald HM

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Bardufoss
    Torget vurderinger
    Har aldri vært i tvil om at DF, perfeksjonist som han er, har lagt ALT i gode innspillinger og gjengivelser.

Men hva er det som gjør en MQA-oppløsning på Tidal, eller et superdupert CD-sett til massevis av tusen kroner, til f eks originalinnspillingen på vinyl av The Nightfly fullstendig utdatert? Og noe som nesten ikke er verd å lytte til?

Forklar:confused:

Lars™

Overivrig entusiast
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Trondheim
    Torget vurderinger
    Noen som har sagt at ‘noe’ er utdatert? Og hva er ikke verdt å lytte til? Forklar :confused:

Harald HM

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Bardufoss
    Torget vurderinger
    Bar et spørsmål om MQA-versjonene er så voldsomt mye bedre enn originalutgaven på vinyl, Lars. Får inntrykk av at gammel vinyl er bare rævva sammenliknet med streaming MQA på disse nettsidene.

Jeg er ikke nødvendigvis enig at streaming til enhver tid gruser vinyl. Men det var det jeg ønsket en nærmere forklaring/utredning rundt. Hvis mulig

Har du noe svar, Lars?

Lars™

Overivrig entusiast
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Trondheim
    Torget vurderinger
    Min post var kun til informasjon om at nevnte album var tilgjengelig som MQA.
    That’s it.

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Når er Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete MQA-encodet.

https://tidal.com/album/76890457

Utover The Nightfly/Kamakiriad/Morph The Cat/Sunken Condos, så finner du en bonusplate. Dette er samme som fulgte med MVI utgivelsen som ble gitt ut for noen år siden. Bonusdisken fra MVI utivelsen var 44/16, så det er jo spennende å se om man har her funnet fram til gamle mastere mtp. MQA varianten.

DAC'en min sier nå "MQA 24-44"

DVD-A.net - The DVD-Audio Resource

Gitt følgende kommentar på amazon, så er vel dette neppe tilfelle:

Some of the greatest albums ever made. It's a great collection but the RHINO name has once again duped everyone with the fact that everything in this set are STRAIGHT REISSUES. Yes, there was no mention of remastering but one would have thought that since they dug up rarities that the albums were somehow sonically enhanced or remastered and sadly no. Don't get me wrong, some of these albums are out of print alone and it's the only place to get the 10 track rarities disc. But as with everything else, there will probably be Remastered/Deluxe editions coming soon forcing you to but them all over again.

Sist redigert:

Harald HM

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Bardufoss
    Torget vurderinger
    Når er Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete MQA-encodet.

https://tidal.com/album/76890457

Utover The Nightfly/Kamakiriad/Morph The Cat/Sunken Condos, så finner du en bonusplate. Dette er samme som fulgte med MVI utgivelsen som ble gitt ut for noen år siden. Bonusdisken fra MVI utivelsen var 44/16, så det er jo spennende å se om man har her funnet fram til gamle mastere mtp. MQA varianten.

DAC'en min sier nå "MQA 24-44"

DVD-A.net - The DVD-Audio Resource

Gitt følgende kommentar på amazon, så er vel dette neppe tilfelle:

Some of the greatest albums ever made. It's a great collection but the RHINO name has once again duped everyone with the fact that everything in this set are STRAIGHT REISSUES. Yes, there was no mention of remastering but one would have thought that since they dug up rarities that the albums were somehow sonically enhanced or remastered and sadly no. Don't get me wrong, some of these albums are out of print alone and it's the only place to get the 10 track rarities disc. But as with everything else, there will probably be Remastered/Deluxe editions coming soon forcing you to but them all over again.
    Takk, mteinum.

Tolker innlegget ditt, i all enkelhet, slik at den gode originalutgaven overgås ikke av senere forsøk på å gi ut ny gullstandard;)

Jeg kan dermed sitte trygt i stolen og snurre en side med the Nightfly fra min gamle gode vinyl uten å tro at det finnes noeLAAANGT bedre out there;)

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    The Nightfly er jo referansekvalitet i utgangspunktet.

Du kan trygt legge orginalen på snurra, sprette en bedre juleøl og nyte musikken som om dette skulle være siste plate du hører.

baluba

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Kopervik og Bergen
    Torget vurderinger
    The Nightfly er jo referansekvalitet i utgangspunktet.

Du kan trygt legge orginalen på snurra, sprette en bedre juleøl og nyte musikken som om dette skulle være siste plate du hører.
    Jepsi, det trenger ikke Harald tenke to ganger om engang. Men det med The Nightfly og MQA er litt interessant. Platen er opprinnelig spilt inn på 3M-system med to ADC som jobber sammen. Den ene er en 12 bit-prosessor, den andre er en 8 bits. Altså til sammen 20 bit på en litt snodig måte for oss moderne digitalmennesker. Forskjellen på MQA-versjonen og normalversjonen på Tidal er hørbar, men det er vanskelig for meg å akseptere at den litt uvanlige ADC-løsningens høyere bitrate er årsaken. Jeg tror det henger sammen med at det er remastret på en mer hifiriktig måte.

bambadoo

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Lørenskog
    Torget vurderinger
    Ang. nightfly
    Fra et annet forum
    The regular and MQA versions of The Nightfly on Tidal are clearly from different masters. Comparing track 2, there are a number of differences:
    The sample rates differ, 44.1 kHz vs 48 kHz for the MQA version.
    The MQA version is 7 seconds longer.
    The MQA version is 2 dB louder, even clipping a few times.
    The polarity of the MQA version is inverted.
    The actual speeds don't quite match. In other words, they are not simply different digital downsamples from a common source.
    The speed difference fluctuates throughout the track.
    I'd be inclined to say these two versions came from different tape transfers, except it's an all-digital production.
    Og en liten analyse
    https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...porware/?page=145&tab=comments#comment-699584

Kan noen her bekrefte?

Sist redigert:

baluba

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Kopervik og Bergen
    Torget vurderinger
    Jeg har ikke sjekket dem mot hverandre direkte i en A/B-test, bare merket at det låt litt annerledes og kanskje mindre anstrengt enn den jeg kjenner så godt fra før. Kanskje et hastighetsavvik har lurt meg til å oppleve det slik? Men dette avviket i tid (fem, ikke syv sekunder) kan like gjerne være tomrom, altså bittelitt mer mellomrom mellom sporene.

Sannsynligvis er dette bare vrøvl. Sjekker nå og det er hørbart høyere nivå på den ordinære versjonen. Den ordinære versjonen bør isåfall være den som klipper. Kanskje de har rotet med notatene? Men resten får dere andre finne ut, jeg har besøk og ikke tid til lytting nå.

Sist redigert:

Sluket

Sivilaudiofil og Master Baiter
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Går det heftet på sirk? :rolleyes: :D

mteinum

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Øya
    Torget vurderinger
    Kjøpte både analog og digital utgave :)

--

Så denne på facebook for noen dager siden:

Passerelle

Closer

Don't Know Nothin'

Begge disse er fra Sign Wave. Utsolgt på CD Baby, får se om den kommer tilbake igjen.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/passerelle1

Ligger også ute på Tidal:

https://tidal.com/album/60617600

Jim Marett skrev:
    I have been curious about almost everything since I can remember. Life has led me to many places around the globe; it has introduced me to different cultures with different ways of thinking, hoping........being. These experiences have indelibly etched their influences on the music that I write.
    "Sign Wave" is the effort of over 50 people whose extraordinary talent, combined with their love of music, has produced a result that, frankly, I never dreamed possible. My profound gratitude to all who took part, and my sincere wish that those who listen to this music will experience in their own way, on their own terms, some of the heartfelt intent that underlies this endeavor.
    PASSERELLE MUSIC.

• Laster inn…

Diskusjonstråd Se tråd i gallerivisning

• Laster inn…
Topp Bunn